Happy New Year - Pray for South Sudan

It's 9:20 p.m. on this 2013 New Year's Eve.

My baby is in bed, and my husband headed in the same direction. But instead of thinking about this last year, my mind and heart drift towards South Sudan, my home for three months in 2012 [Just a few months after it gained independence from Sudan].

If you have not heard, just two weeks ago fighting broke out between two tribal groups within the newest nation of the world. And while the world leaders would have us believe it is political, it is very much tribal.

While I won't to go into the details of the "civil war" breaking out, it is believed that 1,000 people have died and more that 121,600 are to have fled their homes [Thanks BBC for the numbers].

I co-lead a team to Yei, South Sudan in December of 2011-March 2012.
It was one of the most amazing, stretching, life-giving times of my life.
We made family and friends with the people of this nation and I left a piece of my heart there.

Please pray with me that this cease-fire that took place today will lead to lasting peace. No country needs to fight another, let alone fight within itself. This country has seen enough blood shed. Pray the peace of Jesus and His Kingdom would flood this nation. And that tribes and people groups could see the good in each other.

And I continue to pray: Exodus 19:5-6, “You will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.
Priests invite, lead and point people to Jesus. Israel was called to be priests to the nations surrounding it. May South Sudan be the same. A nation marked by the presence of God which points other nations to Christ.

You can read up on my time in South Sudan as well as look at photos I took below:
Arriving in South Sudan + Living Conditions
Quiet Time + Alone Time
Base Life
Daily Life
24 Hour Burn
Panyana Youth Camp
Baking A Birthday Cake In South Sudan

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
May 2014 bring LASTING peace to South Sudan.

Comments