Harry Potter

I had someone ask me to explain my stance of Harry Potter. I realize we may agree to disagree, and I’m OK with that. I value everyone’s unique experience and respect that others may not want to partake in “that”. (There is PLENTY I do not partake in that others do.) Just like I’m ok with saying God owns and redeems everything and all is under His rule and reign. I love you.

With that said, here is my response (with the help of my friend, Jeska): It doesn’t trouble my spirit because despite the terms witches/magic, within the Harry Potter universe, there is no eternal deity to serve positive or negative. Magic functions more as a superpower (you are born with it).


In our world, “magic” ultimately pulls from and glorifies satan and his dark kingdom. But when Harry is doing magic as a wizard, he’s not channeling demons or invoking spirits or anything involving satan himself. The main antagonist is simply noted as the most powerful dark wizard of all time but it’s his skill and his choices (like his cruelty for instance) that gets him that title, not because he is satan or is serving satan.

Honestly, the story as a whole isn’t unlike any other piece of fantasy literature, say like Lord of the Rings where magic is just an element within a supernatural realm. But I get that it can be too uncomfortable for some people and I totally understand and respect that.

I’ve always said if I ever woke up one day and Jesus asked me to toss it, I absolutely would. Every now and then I’ll ask again, and I am given the freedom to choose. I’m not saying Jesus is giving it a seal of approval, but it falls to personal convictions IMO and is more akin to eating fast food. It’s not great for you, but we all get to make our own choices.

I can see where some get confused because most have such little experience with actual magic/witchcraft so it’s easy to wonder why believers would take part in “something like that”. But I have seen people panic about Harry Potter, when there are literal witches in Africa and demons in Pakistan (both I experienced first hand).


“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” - G.K. Chesterton

It’s a fairy tale, and there is great value in fairy tales for children and adults. There are some valid objections to Harry Potter as a hero, but they’re above most kids’ heads, and I think the benefits of the story outweigh the risks at the grammar and logic age. Besides, it can be good conversations with our kids about what makes a hero a hero.

I do applaud the virtues of compassion, loyalty, courage, and friendship present in many of the main characters. Which is better than most crap books (or TV shows) available these days that people partake in. Parts of the story are very relevant to today’s happenings. i.e. The Ministry of Magic is basically our sh!t government. Carsen made that connection, which has led to great conversations.

“Let there be wicked kings and beheadings, battles and dungeons, giants and dragons, and let the villains be soundly killed at the end of the book. I think it is possible that by confining your child to the blameless stories of life in which nothing at all alarming ever happens, you would fail to banish the terrors, and would succeed in banishing all that can ennoble them or make them endurable.” - C. S. Lewis

The battle of Hogwarts was terrible. And I want Carsen to see what fighting to the death looks like. That it’s worth it even if you’re going to lose. Reading them has been an easy intro to darkness. He doesn’t watch shows that feature dark elements (we hardly watch anything besides documentaries 🤣 I wish I was kidding), but it’s out there. And I want to be around him when he reads/sees it. I can’t think of another children’s series that teaches that in a way that’s NOT dark. The books are not nearly as dark as people believe they are.


I didn’t read HP until my mid 30’s, nearly 20 years after the first book came out. I was told by the church not to read or watch it because it was from the devil. So I didn’t. No questions ask. Didn’t matter those in leadership hadn’t actually read the book. I just heard them say witchcraft and said, nope not for me, without any evidence. 💫Something to note: Most who say NO to Harry Potter have never picked up a book and read it. In fact, I’ve never met someone who has actually read Harry Potter and held the “it’s bad” position.

Then some people I respect told me to try it out, and I did. Having lived in Pakistan where real life demons manifested daily, and in countries within Africa where witches are present, in my opinion, this story is completely different than real life demons and witches.



Comments