You Are My Wild | Week 1

For the past 19 weeks, I've been following a photography project titled: "You Are My Wild." This weekly portrait project brought together 14 professional photographers to document how they see their children. The project is updated once a week, every Tuesday morning, for one year.

Their project name is taken from a line in MaryAnn K. Cusimono's poem: "You Are My I Love You"
I am your parent, you are my child
I am your quiet place, you are my wild
I am your calm face, you are my giggle
I am your wait, you are my wiggle
I am your audience, you are my clown
I am your London Bridge, you are my falling down
I am your Carrot Sticks, you are my licorice
I am your dandelion, you are my first wish
I am your water wings, you are my deep
I am your open arms, you are my running leap
I am your way home, you are my new path
I am your dry towel, you are my wet bath
I am your dinner, you are my chocolate cake
I am your bedtime, you are my wide awake
I am your finish line, you are my race
I am your praying hands, you are my saving grace
I am your favourite book, you are my new lines
I am your nightlight, you are my sunshine
I am your lullaby, you are my peek-a-boo
I am your kiss goodnight, you are my I love you

I am a photographer.
I received my degree from University in photography.
I was a photojournalist for a news paper back in the states.
And I'd like to think I'm decent.
At least I enjoy it.

But this past year I have not done much photography.
Maybe because there was so much transition with getting married, nearly losing my husband to a crazy illness, working with the Community Transformation DTS with 100 students, becoming pregnant, moving our family to Cape Town, South Africa and having a baby in a very dramatic way.

Whatever the reason I'd like to blame it on, I stopped taking photos.

I needed a reason to take photos again.
I needed an assignment.

Then Carsen was born.
My baby boy.
My little love.
And I found my inspiration.
My reason to jump back in to photography.

Not only is he the cutest human being alive, but I want to document his life for him, for Kevin & I, for his grandparents, and for his children.

So this is the beginning of my attempt at our weekly photo portrait project, documenting the way Kevin & I see Carsen, our sweet boy. This project will be updated once a week, on Tuesday, for a whole year [hopefully].

Carsen | You Are My Wild

Comments