To Be Full on God's Word

Back in the summer of 2010, I read through the Sermon on the Mount [Matthew 5-7] and became very frustrated with 6:25-7:12. This portion of scripture focuses on God providing, and for us - His children - not to worry.

I just returned for traveling around the world, making friends with the poorest of the poor and spending a month in Kolkata with Mother Teresa's ministry. My heart experienced extreme poverty and did not know what to do with 6:25 that says, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear." I tried reading these scriptures through the eyes of my friends on the streets of Kolkata. How do they read these scriptures about God providing for their needs, when it was evident [at least to my eyes] that He wasn't providing for their needs.

The Lord told me to go back and read the Lord's prayer: "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."

He told me that we each pray, "give us today our daily bread," but honestly this didn't help me.

I've struggled with this issue for the last two years until this week. During one of our South Africa meetings I raised this question and Davidson said to go back to Matthew 4:4, "Man cannot live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."

Now this might seem funny, and you might ask, 'How does that answer your question Lindsay? How does that satisfy your need to know how God provides for the poor?" It just did. It felt right in my heart. It was as if the Lord was reminding me that physical food alone is not enough, but that the word of the Lord is enough.

This concept might seem crazy. Especially for us who have more than our daily bread. For me, even in the midst of raising my own support, to try and understand what someone that is fully without feels, is basically impossible. But the Lord reminded me, that we [this includes me and my friends on the streets of Kolkata] all live not on just bread alone [physical food] but on the words of the Lord.

His word of truth is enough.
It's why we must feed ourselves with more than physical food.
We must feed our soul with God's word.
To live.
To have life.
To be full.

Comments