The Rag Quilt

I learned how to knit [minus casting on] while traveling the world and learned how to use a sewing machine while recently in Omaha. It's a beautiful feeling to create something with your hands - whether photography, painting, sewing, etc. - especially when you can give it to someone as a gift.

After seeing a blanket my friend sewed for Harper, I decided it was time I try out a sewing machine. I never liked home economics - the class where you sewed boxer shorts. But as I become more aware of the slavery issues that go into the clothing I buy, I decided I want to begin to learn how to sew.

Londyn, Sarah and Dana's olderst, does not have anything she is attached to [ie. stuffed animal, blanket, etc.]. I decided this would make the perfect opportunity to try out my sewing skills.

If you are new to the sewing machine, the rag quilt is perfect to learn on because your lines do not need to be perfectly straight!

Step 1: Decide on fabric that will likely fray or unravel when washed vigorously. Anything with a loose weave is good, flannel is very popular or even old jeans. If possible, find out where and how the fabric is made - maybe you can look online for organic made fabric. Sometimes it is just not possible so do not beat yourself up - being aware is a start.


I picked five 100% cotton fabric patterns with similar color pallets.


Step 2: Decide how big you want your blanket, this determines how big each square should be and how many squares you will need. [Don't forget the back side, so double the number]. MATH SKILLS NEEDED!


I decided on a 6x8 square quilt. Originally, I had each square measuring six inches, however I changed it later to seven inches - with 1/2 inch on each side for the fringe.
I needed a total of 98 squares [I cut out 20 square of each fabric].

**Side note: If you want a thicker blanket use fleece and cut the squares to place in between.



Step 3: Cut squares into the right size - deciding how much of a fringe you want.


Step 4: Take two squares of the same pattern and place them back to back. Then take the next pattern and do the same. Place the four squares on top of each other. When you sew your squares make sure to leave an allowance so that you have fabric to fray. [If you've never sewn on a sewing machine, I recommend practicing on scrap material!]


I left a 1/2 inch allowance on all four sides for the fringe.


For those new at sewing, DO NOT FORGET TO BACK STITCH, otherwise you will be taking apart three rows you already sewed and need to locate a sewing machine yoda master to teach you.
[Yes this happened to me]


Step 5: Once each row is complete start sewing each row together matching up the seams.


Make sure the seams lay flat when you are sewing the rows together.


Step 6: Using heavy-duty or spring loaded scissors to cut lines in the seam allowance. The closer together you cut, the more fringe there will be. Try to cut as close to the seam as possible without cutting it.


Cutting is a very tedious job.


I took this blanket everywhere - including friends' homes and a doctor's office.


Step 7: Once you have cut all the seams, throw the quilt in the washing machine and run it through a normal cycle [delicate if you are cautious like me].



I am SO VERY HAPPY with how the rag quilt turned out!


Step 8: Present rag quilt to a very cute little 2-year-old girl!








She only wanted to sleep with the blanket... Success?
Only time will tell if the love will last.

Comments

  1. linds. that is the CUTEST THING!!!!!!! teach me! teach me!


    aaah love it. and londyn is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. teach me teach me! o...well i know how to use a machine but i still wanna learn seating on your lap...mama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment