Keepin' The Kingdom AT HAND

Quote of the day: “I rediscover the joy of creating. The process of creating renews my spirit, and I find myself attuned to the details of life rather than being stressed by being overwhelmed. I find myself listening rather than shouting into the void. Creating art opens my heart to see and listen to the world around me, opening a new vista of experience.” – Makoto Fujimura


Recently, I started an email to a dear friend with, “GIRL I'm freaking out. I feel like an ulcer is rising in my gut and I can't think straight.”


This past month proved I’m either bipolar, anxious, or a bit indecisive. One of my strengths tends to be a great weakness. While visionary, I often struggle living in the now. If I’m not “saving the world” I’m doing nothing with my life, forgetting that the Kingdom of God is AT HAND. It’s where I am, in me.


My friend wrote back, “I fear your energies for "living Kingdom" are on worrying about the next step or when you're going to be among "kids and injustice" again -- instead of just living in the now. You are a storyteller. There are stories around you that need telling - get back to your art the way you express His heart in you and write and take photos that tell stories.”


My tendency to think about the future sometimes distracts me from living the “me” that He wants. But like Fujimura, I want to rediscover the joy in creating. Where I am attuned to the details of life rather than being stressed by being overwhelmed. I want to listen to the world around me NOW.


I’m not saying I have the future figured out. I still don’t know what a month from now looks like and it still scares me. But I’m choosing to live in the moment. Asking God how I can bring His Kingdom today and not in a weeks time.


“Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

your kingdom come,

you will be done

on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us today our daily bread.

Forgive us our debts,

As we also have forgiven our debtors.

And lead us not into temptation

But deliver us from the evil one.”


Perspective. It tends to bring me balance.


“We are not waiting to escape the earth and go to heaven, we’re to be living to pull heaven down to earth.” – Greg Boyd

Comments