November 2009 Update

“If an individual assumes the risk of placing himself in the middle of a war in order to communicate to the rest of the world what is happening; he is trying to negotiate for peace.” – James Nachtway, War Photographer


Attention One and All:

I’LL.BE.HOME.FOR.CHRISTMAS.


That’s right, you read it correctly, I will be in beautiful [hopefully snowy] O.M.A.H.A. from Dec. 17-Jan. 6 celebrating winter, Jesus and the New Year with family and friends [Thanks, Mom and Dad!].


Omaha Christmas = E.X.C.I.T.E.M.E.N.T.

[I won’t lie; I’m sitting here listening to “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” and smiling out of sheer happiness]


While my desire is to see you all, the holiday season makes it difficult. I will host a meet and greet on Sunday, January 3, 2010 from 2-4 p.m. at my parent’s house for those wanting to hear and see photos from my time thus far. Treats will be provided and a good time had by all.


For the sake of my parents’ sanity please R.S.V.P. to (402) 571-9826 [My parents are Beth and Jared and very nice people – LOVE YA Mom and Dad!]


M

E

A

N

W

H

I

L

E


“Drawings of Light” is in its third week of classes and taking up much of my time. Class meets on Saturday for two hours, photos are picked up on Tuesday and developed on Wednesday. We raised $800 and have eight students. While the six-week program introduces our students to a primary level of photography they are teaching us how to love, give, hope and dream. Through their photos we are seeing into their lives and I can’t put into words how much this class, these students have affected me. I only wish I could stay and continue this program. [Click "Drawings of Light" to read more]


Other experiences in Cape Town include…

- researching about HIV and AIDS

- photographing [another] wedding

- cooking pumpkin cheesecake from scratch [I’m talking an actual PUMPKIN people]

- walking miles… M.I.L.E.S… each day

- documenting the life of a boy whose mother is Christian and father is Muslim

- learning to love and live in community

- watching two brothers skateboard [the story behind them is awesome]

- battling a lice infected house

- climbing mountains

- watching the sunrise and set over a beautiful body of water

- discussing the tension between “the rich & the poor”, black & white”, “the educated & the uneducated”, “the living & the dieing” that constantly surround me. [Visit MY BLOG to read more about these discussions and revelations]


I have attached a prayer/financial commitment card in order to keep an accurate account of the amount of money that is considered my monthly income. It is not wise to live month-to-month wondering if I will have enough to survive and this will help me keep track. My hope is that you fill out the card and mail it. T.H.A.N.K. Y.O.U.


[Please note: I understand if you do not want to print off the cards and mail it. If I see you in the O.M.A.H.A. I can hand you one.]


I have an account with The Storehouse in Omaha, Nebraska that is fully tax-deductible. Checks can be written to: The Storehouse and in the memo line write: Lindsay Carstensen. Send money to PO Box 540782, Omaha, NE 68154-0782.


You can also give by clicking on the "Donate Button" on MY BLOG.


Once again, thank you for your commitment to me, to God and to humanity. Your prayers and financial support are changing not only me but also those I meet.


May the Lord bless you and keep you. May He cause His face to shine upon you. May God show you the injustice that lies within your own heart so you can act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with our God. Amen.


SEE MANY OF YOU IN 37 DAYS!


Love you.

Love me. Lindsay.


"I want people to look at my pictures and not take pity but see beyond the “need” and share in the common brokenness and the desperate need of God’s love with the subject. For the viewer to question whom REALLY is “poor” and who REALLY is “rich” – “The one in the photo or myself?”– Lindsay Blake, Writer and Photographer


Comments