Red Coke Revelations

Today, while eating lunch in a "sketchy" part of town an older man began moving from table to table asking for food and money. At one point he took a can of coke from a table where some of my teammates were sitting - although at the time they were up getting their food. Of course, most everyone around reacted and thus began a "commotion." As I sat back and watched it all unfold my heart hurt.

Life is full of contradictions. We are called to love deeply and care for those without and in need yet we are told by society not to give to beggars because it will only encourage them. We are told our possessions are not our own yet we hold tightly to that which we have. We proclaim His Kingdom come, His will be done all the while turning our heads at those who are in need.

I'm faced once again with the question - How do I love like Christ?

Had this gentleman come to my table I think the only real act of tangible love would have been to sit him down, give him my coke and serve him a plate of rice which we had an over-abundance of.

We sing, nay we scream, how we want to love yet we look away when an opportunity presents itself.

Now the world will tell me, "But, Lindsay, it's not safe for a young woman to have a beggar man sit with you."

THEN CALL ME CRAZY!!!

Lord, I fail. I fall short time and again of being an expression of your love. God, teach me to live in the RED. In the RED writing of the Bible. May I step fully into how you desire me to love. I am weak. Amen.

Our God in heaven
hallowed be thy name above all names
Your kingdom come
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven
Give us today our daily bread
Forgive us wicked sinners
Lead us far away from our vices
And deliver us from these prisons

- Jon Foreman (Your Love Is Strong)

Comments

  1. Linds you aren't crazy, well maybe crazy enough to believe Jesus! I agree with you! I would eat with people in Nicaragua if they asked me for money. I think you should eat with people like Jesus did. When you do, you usually receive more than you give. :) Follow your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "living in the RED!" :) If you listen to when he says "Go for it" you will be safe and in obedience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment