Starvation

Starvation is the state of extreme hunger resulting from lack of essential nutrients over a prolonged period.

Every day, more than 16,000 children die from starvation - one child every five seconds.


Really?


That’s one.

One of the most basic needs in life, something I take for granted on a daily basis, is not a reality for everyone in this world. I worry about becoming overweight while others go without food.

That’s two.

Globally, over 9 million people die each year from hunger and malnutrition.

It isn’t right. It isn’t fair. It isn’t human.


Three.

I watch television and see commercials of malnutrition children with their big bellies. I am sad, maybe even let a tear fall, but it does not stop me from getting off the couch and grabbing a snack to munch on before my program comes back.

54 nations currently do not produce enough food to feed their populations, nor can they afford to import the necessary commodities. Most of these countries are in sub-Saharan Africa.

Four.

I once heard, that the world produces enough food to feed the entire global population, and yet we continue to let nations die a slow, painful death.

That’s Five.

About 850 million people globally are malnourished: 799 million of them live in the developing world. More than 153 million of them are children under the age of 5.

The thing is, these numbers have faces. These statistics have names and my happy life is coexisting with their living hell.


Six.

I love the word Jubilee. In the Old Testament the year long celebration happened every 50 years and was a time for the remission of sins and universal pardon where debts are forgiven, slaves and prisoners freed, and the mercies of God would be particularly manifest.

Six million children under the age of 5 die every year from a hunger related cause.


Seven.

What if we – as a global community – took starvation on, stared it down and said no more? What if a modern day Jubilee came to earth and hunger was eradicated from our vocabulary?

Nation forgiving nation, pardoning of debts and enough food to feed the masses - one giant celebration.

Gender is the most significant reason for malnutrition among young girls.

That’s eight.


Some label me a dreamer; I prefer to brand myself a revolutionary. Either way, I’m looking for party planners that will help make this festival a reality and bring the Kingdom of God to earth.

Today.

(Statistics come from the Voice of the Voiceless 30 Days of Pray for the Voiceless booklet - If you want further references please contact me)


Nine.



Ten.

Comments