April Update and Future Plans

First Impressions
Just two weeks in and I know I am right where I need to be. I came to YWAM Hawaii with little expectation and have found myself pleasantly surprised. While Kona is on the volcanic side of the Big Island making the terrain a bit rockier than most would imagine, it is beautiful and I love every chance I get to be near the water.

I have eight roommates from New Zealand, South Africa, Korea and the United States. Friendships are forming among us all and although conflict will be inevitable in the next six months, I feel we will walk through those moments well.


There are 49 students ranging in age from 17 to 54 years old in the PhotogenX program. I am slowly meeting and hearing everyone’s unique story. With the many different backgrounds and upbringings, it will be an interesting time to say the least!


Schedule

My days are full and begin with breakfast at 6:30 a.m. followed by class from 8 a.m. to noon. Lunch is served and we come back for a 1-2 p.m. class. Each student has a work duty around campus and I work natural farming from 3-5 p.m. The YWAM university has a desire to become self sufficient in the coming years and began the farm as a first step towards their goal. Dinner is at 5 p.m. and the day ends with class from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Assignments are turned in at the end of each week.


Photography and Injustice
The leaders and staff of the PhotogenX program have a passion for photography and justice around the world that is contagious. My heart beats a bit faster with anticipation for what is ahead and the realization that, yes, there are others out there with my same vision.

Issues dealing with individual lives such as child prostitution, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, slavery and many others will be discussed and how we can not only bring awareness through our photos but also make a tangible difference. While tough issues, we believe they must be addressed and voiced.


As the leaders speak of the work they are involved in and the people they are a voice for, my selfishness oozes out. I ask God to speak to me about a specific “calling” or “dream” when there are many individuals around the world suffering from injustice.


What am I waiting for?


Next Step

I have decided to move forward with the two-year photograph track. As I sit and listen to the lives suffering from injustice I can’t imagine myself NOT going. Me going is not about being called but rather responding to the question I hear constantly in my head: Who will be a voice for the voiceless?


I want to go not because I can save lives but because the injustice they face must be brought to light and dealt with. It is no longer about me receiving this “great dream” that will change the world but rather loving others.


We do not want the track to be a traveling Christian tour group, but rather a community that will intentionally engage with the suffering people on God’s heart. We want to be involved on practical, hands on level. We want to touch, smell and see the people we encounter. If that means leaving our cameras behind to live among the people – we are willing.


Our three-month field assignment in Central and South America will be the beginning of the two-year program. We will travel to South Africa and spend three months involved with the Voice for the Voiceless base. We will then travel into the Middle East, Europe and Asia spending three months in each area. We will ask God what people He wants to give a voice to and how we can help before stepping foot into each country. Our group will return to Kona for six months to create a publication of photos and stories that will hopefully bring awareness but cause a reaction and cultivate change. Once the publication is completed we will spend three months advocating to the western world on behalf of the issues and people we met.


The round the world plane ticket is $5,000 and each month of the track is $1,400. I am starting at $0 but trust God to provide. It is very humbling for me to ask, but if you feel led to give financially please send checks to: The Storehouse and in the memo line write: Lindsay Carstensen. Send money to PO Box 540782, Omaha, NE 68154-0782.


I want to thank each of you for any prayer and financial support you give to my life. You are standing with me fighting on behalf of the voiceless around the world. Together we can love God and love others.


Please pray…

…God would show how His heart cries for people suffering from injustice. I want/need to feel His pain in order to love them deeper. This is a dangerous but much needed prayer.
…for our team to have creative ways to tangibly help.
…I would bring LIFE, JOY and HOPE wherever my feet step.
…relationships that I’ve built will go deep.
…my finances would come in for my two-year track.
…that I would die to myself daily.
...for creative ways I could raise money.


Please take the time to look over projects PhotogenX have started and are continuing to see justice win out:
www.hakani.org
www.avoiceforthevoiceless.co.za
www.photogenx.net

The vision of PhotogenX is to use photography as a tool for cultural transformation so that issues such as gender based injustice will be issues of history instead of the future. PhotogenX advocates for those who cannot speak for themselves (a voice for the voiceless) and challenges the current global status quo. In addition PhotogenX seeks to capture the people and places of every nation in the world showing off their beauty but not masking their pain.

Comments