Day 2: Midnight revelations

Reading: Simple Spirituality by Chris Heurtz
Quote of the day: "I am going to be a monk for the next three months." - Natalia

Last night we arrived at our home for the next month and my jaw fell to the floor.

I call it the Ritz.

High class.
Big everything.
Nice food.
Don't do dishes.
Room cleaned every day.
Crazy nice conference room.

I felt very out of place. I was frustrated and had an attitude. I honestly was unsure if HE would stay here.

I didn't sleep well last night. In fact, I maybe slept one hour. But around 1 a.m. the words of a man I admire filled my mind why laying wide eyed, "For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

First I love how he said, "I have learned" meaning he struggled probably with this same thing I am. Second, for many years I've looked at these words and applied them when things got hard. But I see this with new eyes. ANY situation [even when we think it's too nice]. Whether well fed, whether in plenty.

I'm still not convinced HE would live here but I, too, am learning the secret of being content and am thankful for what I have. Another lesson in humility.

Comments